Saturday, April 9, 2011

Nonexistant social skills and making friends.

Most anyone who knows me even the slightest can confirm that fact - I don't know how to act in typical social situations.

That thought has been sitting around in my brain today, as the course registration date for UoL looms closer and closer. I've managed pretty well at not needing to be a people person since I started high school, since I had made from friends in junior high. As for back then, even though my social skills were slightly... stunted, to say the least, I had even managed. I didn't hate people then, I just didn't know how to act.

Before kindergarten, there was about 1 friend I spent time with regularly. She was the daughter of a friend of my parents. I also had to go to daycare one day out of seven (Tuesday's, I think) but I didn't really get along with anyone other than the one already-mentioned friend. I'd love to be able to say "My lack of socializing as a child is the reason I'm so behind!" but I really can't. I probably could have played a bit of catch up. Plus, I spent a lot of time with my parents. So that excuse is invalid.

So if we can't figure out the reason why I'm so socially inept, I guess we can look at the results. I've stayed with the exact same group of 3 friends (myself included) since grade 8, only adding one more in the 10th grade. I can handle making casual acquaintances, but not if they want to do anything outside of spend time together at school. I've stayed away from any school event that could require me to talk to anybody outside of my group of friends. I'm skipping my own grade 12 graduation banquet just so I don't have to see all the people I see in school outside of school.

Now, for me, living this type of lifestyle works. In a high school setting. However, when I move in September, I will be hours away from my three best friends and all of my casual acquaintances. Now, the hard part about moving will not be remaking acquaintances. And in all honesty, I could probably try to survive off just that.

But I kind of like having a few friends. With people I don't know really well, there's so many topics that are off limits (by social norm type things, or just not knowing them enough to talk about it). I don't even remember how I became friends with them. It's been a very very long time since I had to make a friend all on my own- since the 5th grade. I don't remember how to do it.

I'll deal with it, I suppose. It just makes me really nervous that in about 4? 5? months, I'm going to have to start completely from scratch.

1 comment:

  1. I started uni in September - it's not that difficult, just be friendly, talk about the classes your taking. I started a conversation with my new friend about her t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete