Thursday, February 10, 2011

Happiness is not genetic.

I just wanted to clear this up for people some people: just because my sister and mother are both wonderful at being happy, doesn't mean I am. Yet just because I have my off days, doesn't mean I'm a basket case who is to be avoided.

I've never claimed to be a particularly emotionally stable. This is not some kind of cry for attention, as I really am typically content, even happy. I just never claimed to be good at it. There are days where getting out of bed and brushing my teeth is a painful chore. There are days I can't sleep because of the overwhelming fear of what will be there when I wake up.

But that isn't most days. I do get up most days, and I do deal with it. I'm not even horrible to be around on those days. Even pretty fun at times. On the bad days that aren't bad enough to justify hiding from the world, I even try my hardest to at not least wallow in my unhappiness with other people.

I say this because yesterday was not a good day. It wasn't the worst, at all. But it's not something I'd rank as the best. I dealt with it, and I didn't force it onto anyone else. Maybe I didn't do it the best I could have, but I did try. Perhaps it worked, perhaps it didn't.

Today is better. I just wish people realized I can't always be better. There are limits to what I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment